2009 - my Ebenezer
Do you know what an Ebenezer is? It's more than just Scrooge's first name, it means "stone of help" and comes from 1 Samuel 7 where the Israelites are about to get stomped by the Philistines so they beg God to save them and He does. In memory of what God had done, Samuel set a stone in the ground and named it Ebenezer saying "Thus far the Lord has helped us." It's like when you're on a road trip and you see a historical marker to remind you of what happened in a certain place. Yesterday I sat down with my journal (which is rare) and spent some time thinking through the past year and all that God has done for me. I wanted to write it all down as a personal ebenezer so I wouldn't forget. In the Bible He's pretty big on His people taking time to remember all He's done and celebrate it so I thought I should do the same. Here's what I came up with:
1) Free (finally) of a desperate need for love from people - Praise God!
2) Traveled to Belgium, France, England, the Dominican Republic and spent a month in Denver with Dad. God provided the time and resources for all of it - Praise God!
3) Rescued Phil and saved the Snowbeast from coyotes (two of them had her cornered on the front porch) - Praise God!
4) Life is stress free (mostly) and my old anxieties are gone. Christmas was celebrated with family for the first time in years without the sting of death and suffering - Praise God!!
5) I have a deeper love for Jesus than ever before and a great desire to live for, give up my life for, Him alone.
Praise God!! He has done great things and my heart is filled with joy. I am deeply loved and cared for.
That's pretty much the entry word for word. I could have written more but the weight of a few of those things was enough to fill my heart and make me completely thankful. It's been an incredible year and all because of Jesus. So what about you guys? Have you taken time to think back over the last year and remember all that God has done? Maybe it's been a rough year and you're having a hard time seeing Him in it, but He's there - don't believe anyone who tells you He isn't. He has promised to never leave us or give up on us and He's never once gone back on a promise. And I would encourage you by saying that it's been in the harder years, the painful bits that I grew the most. As things get darker, His face shines brighter and if you just hold on and don't give up you'll see Him come to your rescue.
I would love to hear from you guys on how 2009 was and what we can be praying for you in 2010. I'll be praying for you no matter what so you might as well chime in and let me know how you're doing.
Love and Happy New Year!!