What’s your mission this summer?
Over the past few weeks, Virtuous Reality has received several prayer requests from those of you heading out on mission trips this summer. Whether you’re traveling to Mexico, the Honduras, China, India, Africa or to another city, mission trips help us not only spread the Word and Hope of Christ (as commanded in The Great Commission, Matthew 28:18-20 ), but can also build and strengthen our own faith in God and expand our worldview.
I have had the opportunity to travel to Ireland, Romania and Paris on short term missions during my college years. From VBS to street evangelism and dramas, the trips offered such eye opening experiences on what God was doing in the life and times of people in those countries. It also produced great friendships with those I would have never thought possible.
If you are heading aboard, you‘ve most likely begun to prepare – as finances, passports and visas take time to complete. Begin to prepare your heart and head as well! Here are a few suggestions to help before boarding the plane……
- Pray daily for your team and for the people you will reach
- Research the country or city you are headed to – learn about their history and culture
- Start a prayer blog so that your friends and family can share in your experience
- Know your testimony and be able to share it with others
- Anticipate and expect great things from God
Not heading on a missions trip? Make your home or neighborhood your mission this summer! Be prayerful about your service, you never know how the Lord will use you in all things big and small. Here are a few suggestions to get you started…..
- Help your mom with dinner
- Clean the dishes or your room without being told
- Help a neighbor with their yard work
- Babysit for free
- Pray for China & the Olympic games
- Pray for a specific country or people group
- Ask a neighbor or friend how you can best serve them
Just remember, no matter where you’re summer takes you, we will be praying for you and waiting to hear all about your adventures and experiences. So, please share!
"Mission Preparation Training - How to prepare for your short-term mission trip" by Mathew Backholer